Where Is Wayne Williams, Suspect From Atlanta Child Murders Now?
Maybe your like
Finished Tiger King? HBO’s got your back with a new true crime docuseries about the infamous Atlanta Child Murders.
The five-part series, which is called Atlanta’s Missing and Murdered: The Lost Children, tells the story of the abduction and murder of at least 30 African American children and young adults in Atlanta between 1979 and 1981. It also covers the story of Wayne Williams, a man who was convicted of the murders. The case was once closed, but Atlanta Mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms eventually reopened it 40 years later.
The new HBO docuseries features exclusive archival footage and photos, along with interviews with people who were close to the children, as well as those who investigated the murders.
It’s been a minute since the Atlanta Child Murders dominated headlines (although the case appeared in a semi-fictionalized storyline for season two of Netflix’s hit true crime series Mindhunter), so you may be wondering who exactly is Wayne Williams and what happened to him after he was convicted. Here's everything you need to know:
Where is Wayne Williams now?
Today, Williams is in his early sixties and serving two life sentences in prison. However, he maintains his innocence in the Atlanta Child Murders.
And as it turns out, Williams may not be the only person who thinks so. Atlanta police announced in March 2019 that they would be reopening the case, and Williams released a statement, reiterating that he is innocent of any crime.

"I stand fully ready and willing to cooperate with any renewed investigation to find the truth on what happened with the purpose of straightening up any lies and misconceptions of my unjust convictions," he said in a statement read in a news conference, per the Atlanta Journal-Constitution.
Williams reportedly sends families of the victims Christmas cards and letters declaring his innocence, the Atlanta Journal-Constitution reported, and some families say that they don’t think Williams killed their children.
There have also been new allegations (as of 2019) against Williams by several men who say he tried to molest them when they were kids, per the Atlanta-Journal Constitution.
Bottoms stressed that the new investigation is not an attempt to exonerate Williams. She told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution that evidence from the 1980s ties Williams to many of the murdered children. Instead, the investigation will use new technology to see if it can uncover any more details from re-testing evidence.
Watch Atlanta Mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms push to reopen the Atlanta Child Murders case:
Back up: How did Wayne Williams become a suspect in the Atlanta Child Murders?
In the early '80s, Wayne Williams was a 23-year-old freelance photographer who also described himself as a music promoter, per People.
He became a suspect in the murders when a surveillance team pulled him over near a bridge in the early hours of May 22, 1981, after hearing a loud splash. (Officials had been staking out bridges because some of the murder victims' bodies had been found in the Chattahoochee River.) Days later, a body was found in the river not far from where another one had been found, according to The New York Times.
Related Stories
A Complete Timeline Of The Atlanta Child Murders
The Atlanta Child Murders Case Is Far From Closed
The victims in the Atlanta Child Murders were all between the ages of seven and 17, per The Times, except for two young adults. They were also mostly from low-income areas of Atlanta.
But perhaps the most chilling commonality of the victims was that they simply vanished while doing ordinary things, like going to see a movie or ice skating.
The children’s bodies surfaced weeks, or sometimes even months, later in a river, under a bridge, or behind a dumpster. Terrified parents refused to let their children play outside. Some even took their kids out of school, the Times reported, while city officials imposed a curfew. The FBI eventually became involved, along with several other government agencies.
The investigation took a turn when authorities linked hairs and carpet fibers on the bodies of two of the victims to those in Williams' house and car, The Times reported. Williams was convicted in February 1982 for the murders of two adults.
After the trial, law-enforcement officials linked Williams to 22 of the other murders, but he was never actually tried for the crimes. (Five of the remaining murder cases were left open.)

Hopefully, with the reinvestigation, the world will get some answers. Until then, you might as well get your true-crime fix with Atlanta’s Missing and Murdered: The Lost Children, premiering this Sunday, April 5, on HBO.
Tag » How Many Did Wayne Williams Kill
-
Wayne Williams - Wikipedia
-
Utah Lab To Analyze DNA Evidence From Atlanta Child Murders
-
Was He Framed For Killing Black Kids To Get The Klan Off The Hook?
-
Serial Killers, Part 5: Wayne Williams And The Atlanta Child Murders
-
Atlanta Child Murders: Justice Of A Different Kind, Efforts To Exonerate ...
-
New DNA Testing In Atlanta Child Murders To Begin Within 60 Days ...
-
Who Killed Atlanta's Children? - The New York Times
-
Where Is Suspected Atlanta Child Murderer Wayne Williams Now?
-
Wayne Williams' 1981 Arrest Allayed Crime Fears, Ended Atlanta ...
-
Wayne Williams, Serial Killer Born - African American Registry
-
Police Gets Funds To Retest DNA Evidence In Atlanta Child Murders
-
Salt Lake City Lab Looks At Atlanta Child Murders Case Evidence
-
The Atlanta Child Murders Paperback – April 3, 2022
-
America's Deadliest Serial Killers - CBS News